Piper Heidsieck has a 236 year history of excellence, audacity and greatness. We present some curious facts about this Champagne.
Since 1875, the Piper Heidsieck house has been synonymous with excellence, audacity, and greatness. Currently, the company operates in more than 100 countries. So we’ve gathered some interesting facts about this Champagne.
- It produced the largest bottle of Champagne ever produced, a Melchizedek, in 1965. In terms of height, it measured 182 meters high and contained 64 bottles. In 1959, this box contained awards from the Oscar ceremony.
- Marie Antoinette was the first ambassador of this Champagne, favored by royalty.
- In the world, a bottle of Piper-Heidsieck is uncorked every eight seconds.
- According to Marilyn Monroe, she drinks this Champagne every morning with a glass of Piper-Heidsieck and a drop of Chanel #5.
- Champagne from this brand has a long history in cinema, as it was the first champagne brand to appear on the big screen in 1933’s comedy Sons of the Desert. In total, he has appeared in over 300 films and television series. During its 29 years at the Cannes Film Festival and since 2015, it has been an official drink of the Oscars.
History of Piper Heidsieck
Florens-Louis Heidsieck founded it in 1785 in Reims as a tribute to his muse, Agathe Perthois.
His nephew Christian Heidsieck and sales director Henri-Guillaume Piper assumed all management duties upon Heidsieck’s death.
As a consequence of Christian’s death, Henri-Guillaume Piper purchased the Heidsieck House, and in 1838, the widowed Heidsieck married Piper.
It officially added Piper to Heidsieck in 1839.
In the world, Piper Heidsieck is one of the oldest Champagne houses.
Since 2011, Piper-Heidsieck has been owned by a French firm, the EPI group, known for its portfolio of luxury brands in France.
Piper-Heidsieck is one of the world’s most awarded champagnes. Our winery is led by Emilien Boutillat, who won the award for the World’s Best Sparkling Wine Maker of the Year 2021, awarded by the most accurate, complete, and influential international wine competition in the world Challenge (IWC).
A strategic alliance in Mexico
The Sommelier Georgina Estrada, Piper-Heidsieck and El Cielo wine ambassadors, Gustavo Ortega Joaquin, Founder and Executive Director of El Cielo, announced a Commercial Alliance between Cielo Valle de Guadalupe and Champagne Piper-Heidsieck at a ceremonial pairing event.
Three champagnes were tasted:
- Piper-Heidsieck Cuvee Brut
- Piper-Heidsieck Rose Sauvage
- Piper-Heidsieck Cuvee Sublime
They paired champagnes with dishes including rolled axe tripe served with lemon zest and ponzu sauce, Parmesan cheese croquettes with truffle and aioli sauce, and piquillo pepper stuffed with candied duck and beef hamburger with melted cheese.
Served with baby mushroom risotto and 14-month-old Reggiano Parmesan cheese.
As Sommelier Gina Estrada tasted the three champagnes, she concluded that even though each Champagne has its characteristics and aroma, you can pair them with almost any food. In addition, it pairs very well with Mexican dishes, which possess a variety of distinctive flavors.
How Much is a Bottle of Piper Champagne?
The price of Piper Heidsieck starts from $14 to $630. Piper Heidsieck Brut Champagne is a staple in stores, and a bottle that price of $34.99 is pretty good considering retail is closer to $50, but the wine can be found online and at Total Wine for under $40.